Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing 2: What is Library 2.0

It's news to me. Seems there's been a lot going on in library land while I've been busy checking books out and in, learning a new ILS, assisting patrons with reference questions, maintaining and supervising public access computers, proctoring college exams, networking with peers, developing and implementing programs, organizing story times, supervising library staff, etc. The news is that to stay relevant, I must learn "Library 2.0". No doubt, there is some truth to that, but to date, most of my patrons seem not to have noticed the void. No doubt, there are also patrons that will notice and appreciate the "addition" of Library 2.0, which I've learned is not only a technology, but an attitude.

Stephen Abram suggests that if the desire to learn Web 2.0 is strong enough, that I will find the time. So far that has proven true, although the 15 minutes/day he suggests is hardly enough time. My participation in 23 Things is partly due to curiousity piqued during my participation in the Small and Rural Library Conference held in Columbus, Ohio in September, 2007. Web 2.0 was talked about a lot there. Stephen Abram was a conference speaker.

The information I've read and listened to in Thing 2 is thought-provoking, but a bit of a mystery to me. I hope to solve some of that mystery in the weeks ahead.

1 comment:

CMLE Coach said...

I'm sure you will. Think of it as adventure into a land of unknowns where you are given all of the keys...its just a matter of trying them out.

Cindy Gruwell
CMLE Coach